Department of Molecular Probes and Prodrugs
Michał Gładysz, PhD
Francesca Canyelles I Font
Molecular probes, fluorescence, bioluminescence, microscopy, chemical biology, biological chemistry, live-cell imaging, cell lines, assays, HTS, high throughput screening, free radicals, metal ions, proteins/enzymes, biomarkers, prodrugs.
Chemical tools for (a) detection and (b) modification of interactions in live cells
The main aim is to develop low-molecular weight chemical tools to image, study and control biological systems through mapping and subsequently modifying interactions between biochemical targets in live cells (figure). In particular:
- Fluorescent and bioluminescent molecular probes for sensing pairs of analytes to associate biochemical changes inside cells with the development of disease (e.g. lung and prostate cancer).
- Non-genetic methods for in situ tagging of endogenous proteins to visualise endogenous proteins and study their interactions in live cells.
- Multiplexing assays (based on small molecules) for high-throughput screening to improve the identification of most promising small molecule drug candidates and deciphering their mechanism of action (also within the ERIC EU-Openscreen consortium and POL-Openscreen initiative)
These tasks encompass, among others:
- Organic synthesis of probes (low molecular weight fluorophores and bioluminophores)
- Comprehensive spectroscopic analysis (in cuvettes and on microplates)
- Assay development and microscopic imaging of live cells through confocal microscopy (including e.g. FRET and FLIM)
- Flavin-based fluorescent probes and singlet-oxygen generators (prof. Marek Sikorski at the Faculty of Chemistry, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan)
Ongoing research projects:
1. Masked bioluminogenic substrates for a selective imaging of the biochemical parameters of cancer.
NCN – SONATA 13
2. MultiGATE: dual-analyte responsive fluorescent probes for a real-time multi-parametric sensing in cellular models.
FNP - HOMING 4
Selected publications from the last three years:
1. Z Lim, DG Smith, JL Kolanowski, RL Mattison, JC Knowles, S-Y Baek, W Chrzanowski, EJ New
2. KL Chong, BA Chalmers, JK Cullen, A Kaur, JL Kolanowski, BJ Morrow, K Fairfull-Smith, MJ Lavin, NL Barnett, EJ New, MP Murphy, SE Bottle*
3. IJ Carney, JL Kolanowski, Z Lim, B Chekroun, TW Hambley, EJ New*
4. JL Kolanowski+, F Liu+, EJ New*
5. JL Kolanowski, LJ Dawson, L Mitchell, Z Lim, ME Graziotto, WK Filipek, TW Hambley, EJ New*,
6. PJ Wright, JL Kolanowski, WK Filipek, EG Moore, S Stagni*, EJ New*, M Massi* Versatility of terpyridine functionalised aryl tetrazoles: photophysical properties, ratiometric sensing of zinc cations and sensitisation of lanthanide luminescence.
7. A Wu+, JL Kolanowski+, BB Boumelhem, R Lee, A Kaur, ST Fraser, EJ New*,
8. ES O’Neill, JL Kolanowski, PD Bonnitcha, EJ New*
9. K Yang+, JL Kolanowski+, EJ New*
10. JL Kolanowski, C Shen, EJ New*,
11. C Shen, JL Kolanowski, CM-N Tran, A Kaur, MC Akerfeldt, MS Rahme, TW Hambley, EJ New*
12. ES O’Neill, JL Kolanowski, GH Yin, KM Broadhouse, SM Grieve, AK Renfrew, PD Bonnitcha, EJ New
13. JL Kolanowski, A Kaur, EJ New*,
14. A Kaur, JL Kolanowski, EJ New*